Saturday, September 7, 2013

Shout Out to Robert Motherwell

Rober Motherwell, Elegy to the Spanish Republic, 108,
1965 - 1967
I first came across Motherwell's artwork in the magazine ArtForum.  I was taken back by his use of color, including white and black.  Motherwell was a painter, printmaker and editor and worked during the Abstract Expressionist period.  In this picture, and in others, he uses black in bold and brave ways with splashes of color.  I have been told by other teachers that using black is a "no-no" but here it is used as the primary form and if I may say so, done well.   Motherwell is an inspiration to me as I pursue creating my own abstract art.  Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Why do they say that using black is a no-no? While I tend to lean toward brighter colors, I sort of think that no color should be a no-no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been told that black is a no-no because it does not occur in nature. Those that say this usually just want to reproduce nature in their paintings and do not do abstract art.

      Delete