Saturday, September 21, 2013

Tree In Pastel

Alice Cook, Tree Number One, 2013
Yesterday, feeling a bit anxious in the studio, I decide to take a break from my acrylic painting in order to do some pastel.  Trees have always been a bit difficult, so I thought I'd give a try at a tree in pastel.  First I layered in the sky, with blue, yellow ocher and pink, then the ground with off white and sap green.  Then up went the trunk and branches, then the cluster of leaves.  Many layers were placed on  the paper through trial and error with some blending.  I really enjoyed the spontaneity of the process that I went through.  I have decided I need more practice with pastels and forming trees, so I am going to start a series of trees in pastel.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Alice... I just LOVE your tree!!! I admired it a while and assumed it was from one of the classic masters (after the other day when I assumed the opposite about the hands)... then I looked down and saw your name!! It's so beautiful and peaceful! This would fit right in, in our home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I am starting a series of trees in pastel, just for the fun of it. I was pleasantly surprised on how this one turned out. Pastel is a new medium for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see more of what you do in it!! :-)

      Delete