Friday, October 25, 2013

Wool Over Our Eyes

Christopher Wool
Words are images.  Words are image and thought embodied.  Christopher Wool, according to Wikipedia, "is best known for his paintings of large, black, stenciled letters on white canvases. Wool began to create word paintings in the late 1980s, reportedly after having seen graffiti on a brand new white truck. Using a system of alliteration, with the words often broken up by a grid system, or with the vowels removed, Wool’s word paintings often demand reading aloud to make sense."  I think graffiti artists have know that words can be art, even before Wool started his word paintings.  Nowadays, graffiti artists have a place both on the street and in the galleries.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I love word art! I have something on our wall that is just sort of weathered looking white words on black, which reads: be.YOU.tiful -- I have it in among our framed family photos. Makes me kind of happy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word art is awesome. Right now I am into graffiti art and all the unique ways of writing words.

      Delete