Wednesday, April 23, 2014

After Rembrandt With Printmaking

Alice Cook, After Rembrandt, 2014
Alice Cook,
After Rembrandt #4
I recently did some drypoint printmaking of a self-portrait done by Rembrandt.  He etched the picture into a copper plate using acid.  Since I do not have the facilities to work with acid in my studio, I decided to do the picture in drypoint.  Drypoint is done using a sharp needle, the image is scratched into a copper plate using the needle.  When this is completed the plate in inked, wiped and sent through my small printing press.  I did a total of five prints of the plate (see picture).  The first print was light due to the fact that it was wiped too much and I didn't have enough pressure on it with the press.  With the following four prints, I increased the pressure and was not as vigorous with the wiping off of the ink from the plate.  Number four and five are my favorite, for I carefully chose how I wanted to wipe the ink off, leaving more ink on the plate.  The close up picture is of print number four.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment