Monday, November 25, 2013

Oil Paint and Claude Monet

Claude Monet
Oil paint is an interesting medium to work in.  I am currently doing a landscape in oil paint and I am enjoying learning which colors are opaque, translucent or transparent.  This is important for me because I am directly painting over another landscape I did years ago.  The colors that are opaque are doing a great job covering up the underneath painting.  While the translucent and transparent colors are not covering the underneath painting that well, so I am combining these colors with more opaque colors to improve there covering power.  According to Wikipedia, "Oil paint is a type of slow-drying paint that consists of particles of pigment suspended in a drying oil, commonly linseed oil. Oil paints have been used in Europe since the 12th century for simple decoration, but were not widely adopted as an artistic medium until the early 15th century."  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment