Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Southern Song Dynasty Art

Southern Song Dynasty, China
In China, the Southern Song Dynasty went from 960 to 1279.  According to Wikipedia, "Painting during the Song Dynasty reached a new level of sophistication with further development of landscape painting; immeasurable distances were conveyed through the use of blurred outlines, mountain contours disappearing into the mist, and impressionistic treatment of natural phenomena (see picture)."  I am fascinated on how China was way ahead of the European art scene when it came to landscape paintings.  China has an interesting topography, with lowlands and mountains.  With the views these artists had, it must have been a great inspiration to them.  I know that when I see a beautiful landscape before me I either take a picture of it or do some plein air artwork on the spot.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment