Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Style and Eva Hesse

Eva Hesse, Hang Up, 1966
Style by definition means, "a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode."  According to Kit White, "Style is the by product of saying what has to be said in the most appropriate way a maker can say it."  It seems to me that each artist develops a certain style over time that makes them easily identifiable to the public.  I can easily point out a Picasso, Monet, Rembrandt, or even Thomas Kinkade.  The way they capture something, the colors they use, the brushstrokes, etc., all become clues to who the artist is of a particular artwork.  In my art history classes, the teacher purposely identifies characteristics of the artwork that is prevalent in much of the artist's work.  Do I have a style?  Slowly I am developing one, but with the experimentation I am doing it is difficult to pin a style on me yet.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment