Monday, February 24, 2014

The Slow Movement and Slow Art

Tim Slowinski, Baby Eating TV Dinner
The Slow Movement, especially Slow Art is new to me.  I have never heard of this philosophy that applies to life, as well as making art.  Carl Honore states, "It is a cultural revolution against the notion that faster is always better. The Slow philosophy is not about doing everything at a snail’s pace. It’s about seeking to do everything at the right speed. Savoring the hours and minutes rather than just counting them. Doing everything as well as possible, instead of as fast as possible. It’s about quality over quantity in everything from work to food to parenting."  This reminds me of mindfulness and living in the present moment, rather that living in the past or future.  As the saying goes, haste makes waste.  Slow Art was coined by Tim Slowinski and he states, "Under Slow Art, art is created very slowly and deliberately.  The act of creating art is a meditation and devotion."  Interesting point of view, but it would be difficult for me to implement due to the fact that I am a fast painter, slow doesn't go with me.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment