Friday, March 21, 2014

The Codex Seraphinianus

Luigi Serafini
Recently I picked up an interesting book from my local library.  Upon opening it, I saw drawings that were completely surreal and writing that was not understandable.  According to Wikipedia, "Codex Seraphinianus, originally published in 1981, is an illustrated encyclopedia of an imaginary world, created by the Italian artist, architect, and industrial designer Luigi Serafini during thirty months, from 1976 to 1978. The book is approximately 360 pages long (depending on edition), and written in a strange, generally unintelligible alphabet."  According to Serafini, he wanted to take the reader back to childhood when they could not read, where they would look at the pictures in a book and let their imagination run wild.  I did find myself, as I looked at the colored pencil drawings gracing most pages, making up stories to go along with the pictures.  My mind tried to make sense of the arrangement and types of pictures and the nonsense made sense to me.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment